Friday, September 21, 2007

An ode to a Dear Beloved named Sleep (By a Bereaved Lover)

Sleep, Her name evokes fond memories of the days when I used to lie firmly ensconced in her gentle grasp, with my tiny hand grasping, well, grasping onto absolutely nothing. Safe, secure, Snoozeland, oh how beautiful her realm was.

There was a time, when I used to live a free life without these wierd contraptions that are aimed at preserving my modesty, the aim being based on a preconceived notion that I have a non zero amount of Modesty, in absence of which the above would be rendered null and void. The reader (may his tribe increase) might have guessed that I am talking of the time when I used to roam around Unclad, save in my invisible raiment, So Royal that they were invisible to all living eyes save mine, and Royal that I was, that sufficed.

Then, Sleep was mine. I was Grand beyond Human Comprehension, who , witless creatures, saw not my true form, but saw a tiny kid in dire need of a censor board. Anyway, Sleep was mine. A Wink, a Clap,A Sigh, A Yawn, and she arrived to her Earthbound Love Interest. I am told that in the distant past I have spent upto 20 hours a day in the enlightening company of my beloved Sleep.

My life was a Happy one, So I can imagine the reader (may his/her tribe increase exponentially this time if he/she is Still reading) getting a bit edgy wondering how exactly Sleep Deserted Me.

Well, By Toutatis, and Belenos, and all the High gods of the Gauls, Cursed be the Day I dared to do what I did that eventually led to a long winding chain of events, a gradual souring of our relation, that has culminated in us being legally separated.

It was when I was 15. I flirted with Another. And not just any other, But I flirted with Insomnia, Sleep's Cosmic Archrival through the ages. It was so tempting. I had a History examination the next day, for which I was yet to start studying at 10 PM. Sleep came to me (Oh God Bless Her Pure Soul), and fool that I was, I rebuked her and sent her away. That was fairly normal. Isnt it? Every relation has its fights. I wanted a bit of Space. That was all .

And then she struck. I dont want to steer clear of all blame. The perfect Seductress is one who chooses the right moment.And isnt yielding to temptation a Sin? Insomnia was too old a player of this hand for me to deal and get away unscathed. She came to me, and needless to say, I was already Irked at Sleep, I cheated on my Love. I cheated on Sleep, thinking that I can get away, thinking that misdeeds of a night cannot be caught if they are not repeated.

Alas, I was wrong. Insomnia turned out to be a snake. Beautiful she was , Oh yes, But, a Snake from Within. She poisoned my very existence, (and Sleep's too, poor creature), by ensuring that she did come to know of my infidelity.(I suspect Thought of finally breaking the news to sleep) . Sleep No longer came at my summons. She came, but was detached, disinterested. In place of the Loving gaze, there was a Cold Stare. Instead of showing my sweet dreams of Meads and sunshine, I saw nightmares.We tried. She did , I did, But I had broken the faith, and there was no way to repair it (You dont get a second chance with these Cosmic Chicks). We grew more and more estranged.

The rest, as they say, is history. yesterday, at 4:00 AM I met Sleep for the last time. She had her bags packed, and she was going away. But she still Loves me, aye. She showed me the sweeest dreams imaginable for three hours, all our happy memories compressed in those three hours, a lifetime compressed in a nap. Then she kissed me goodbye, wished me luck, and flew away. For ever.

Its 3:50 AM now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

nice...pray she returns...but given a second chance, how will you remain faitful? we are bloody academicians...locked in institutions...at the mercy of taskmasters

1:55 AM  
Blogger liszt85 said...

I'm not kidding,.. this is deja vous! I've seen this article before and the author was you yourself! Dude.. deja vous requires serious explanation. I don't buy the old psychology explanation: "when you encounter a situation, your mind imagines that you have seen this before,.. not that you've actually seen it before" some kidna crap like that,.. I've dreamt about some article on sleep written by you, I'm quite sure... Anyway, again, a very nice read!!

7:29 AM  
Blogger '~-)Sandman(-~' said...

ok...next time you dream, dream up a nice chick with me [:p]

8:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

An absolute treat!!!
I don't remember having witnessed such a beautiful personification until this very moment..

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home