Saturday, November 29, 2008

•Prostitute /ˈprɒstɪˌtut, -ˌtyut/ –verb : to put to any base or unworthy use : "to prostitute one's talents"

Every blogger needs material. He (pardon for gender bias from reader assumed) has to look around for things to blog about. Bloggers who religiously follow this golden law of blogging never run out of readers, all their blog posts have lots of comments, and lots of readers. Whereas bloggers who dont, who write convoluted shite like this very piece of shite you are wasting your time by reading, dont get readers. It is as simple as that. And since, inspite of all assertions to the contrary, Blogging is an activity that is analogous to baring your torso, this is sometimes a disquieting fact of life. Of course, as long as we are in this metaphorical (or, isn't it simile-cal?) realm, we might as well warn the reader of abstaining from any such blatant act of exhibistionism and, well, nakedness, if his fat intake is anything close to my fat intake. The ladies might not be so tolerant then.

But disquietude apart, I think I have unwittingly conditioned myself to the art for art's sake motto. Except when it is about Sourav Ganguly, who I consider an artist in his own right, and am instantly subjected to a million jokes and a billion sneers. But , thats another subject I wish not to dwell on in this post. A dear friend of mine has made a habit of writing about the hottest current topic, and right now, you can guess what it is. Now, I love and respect him deeply (in a purely platonic and heterosexual way, I should add), and this disclaimer has nothing to do with the fact that I am going to forcibly make him read this post in about half an hour, but I consider this some form of prostitution. I consider blogging a very high form of art, the boundless potential waiting at each moment at the footsteps of any blogger is immensely mindboggling. You can write whatever flows from your brain, flowing through your heart (a hypothesis that is widely disputed), and finally moving your fingers in a gentle dance across that discotheque called "The Keyboard". If there is any degree of truth in what I just said, I would think it follows naturally that you should not restrict the area of this metaphorical dance floor by placing at each moment political agendas on the floor.
Keep the dance floor free of garbage, and twirl your heart out.

Notwithstanding that rhetoric, I would still say that sometimes, as a blogger (albeit one who isn't particularly up to date in anything other than Cricket) , it is hard to resist to the temptation of taking the "hottest road" . After all, it is insane to write about blogging ideals at a time when Mumbai is burning, Live, 24 x 7 on NDTV. True that I didnt hear the bomb blasts, and the only hint of genuine, but repressed distress I sensed was in a friend from Mumbai who has spent the last three days watching CNN and BBC videos and laughing insanely and nervously while engaging in this activity, yet maintaining admirable calm in a situation in which I would have visibly panicked, still, as a blogger, maybe solely as a blogger, I have felt several times over the last three days that I ought to vicariously benefit from the plight of Mumbai as have so many Media people, and fellow bloggers from what, viewed dispassionately, is top quality blog fodder.

But till now, I have successfully resisted. Maybe I am old fashioned. But worry not, I am well on my way to modernity. By the time I am 80, I'll be as big a cunt as the rest of you.

1 Comments:

Blogger basit said...

is that me you're talking about *wonders*

oh dear god and i just made another of those current news posts. am i a blog-whore?

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home